Sinister: Interview extracts

Peter Miller and/or Arantxa Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Fri Nov 7 17:01:51 GMT 1997

Julia Mary Brown wrote:

> And my claim to fame is I've done my laundry standing next
> to Stuart
> Murdoch.  But I didn't dare speak to him -  I know, I'm a
> wimp.
> A 3000 word essay for Monday becons,

About Stuart Murdoch's laundry? One can only hope so. You
should have talked to him. I bet he doesn't bite. Laundry is
a great leveller. Just how unpleasant can you be when you
know that your underpants are circling around in front of
everyone's eyes? What colour were they?

While we wait for the essay, here's a bit more insubstantial
fluff from that interview:

"I'll tell you that we like the Smiths, but we don't want to
be like them. There are seven of us in the group and we have
very diverse tastes that might surprise you. Three of us
love The Clash, and others like World Music. Chris even
hates The Smiths. We might be similar to them in that we use
concepts that are there, in the street, within anybody's
reach. We take them and then we bring them out from deep
down inside us. Lots of the stories on the record come from
before the group was formed, short stories that Stuart
wrote, and that he liked to call "Belle and Sebastian".

Dylan in the Movies....

"The story is about a boy who goes for a walk in the park at
night and is scared in case anybody comes up from behind and
grabs him. That's why it says "don't look back", which is
also a film about Bob Dylan."

"As far as we're concerned there's no war with Melody Maker,
although we don't know if they're at war with us. We can't
take the music press business in Britain seriously, or the
critics. Or believe them, seeing as one of concerts was
called "horrific" by the Melody Maker and "brilliant" by the
NME. And it was the same concert."

There, that's about it. Can't vouch for its authenticity,
but that's a quick summary of what's in the article. Badly
translated, but I don't suppose anyone's unduly worried.
It's not as if it's one of the novels of Laurent Jalabert,
is it?

Peter