Sinister: stuff

Caz hiv95352 at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 10 17:15:34 GMT 1997

>By the way, and I hope nobody minds me mentioning this, but the >programme
>I was working on was called The Adam and Joe  Show and the second >series
>returns on November 22nd 11.00pm on Channel 4. Its really funny and >Adam
>likes Belle and Sebastian, especially 'Expectations' and puts it on all
>his compilation tapes.

ooh, cool. I loved that programme. I found an episode on tape the other
week (the one with Neil Hannon in the Vinyl Justice bit) and it was even
better than i remembered.

>>the internet movie database will let you search for
>>birthdates. 16th january is given by:
>>
>>http://us.imdb.com/M/on-this-day?day=16&month=January
>>
>>and turns up kate moss, john carpenter (and about 50 or so
>>others). it'll also show you deaths and marriages and films
>>that opened: the apartment (one of my favourite films)
>>opened (albeit in sweden) on your birthday in 1961.
>>
>>andy
>>sat here, bored, waiting for email...
>
>I've just done that for my birthday 24/ 5 / 77 and it turns up
>libby kennedy from neighbours and eric cantona

Least it was people you'd heard off...the 2 andy mentioned were the only
2 on my list i'd ever heard of, just about. Although ginger rogers did
get married.

>I've just done 3/1/79 and got nothing. Luckily,I know who I share a >birthday with. Unfortunately,it's Michael Schumacher.

Do not slag. The bloke is the best driver F1's seen in a long time.

> They had a song
>called Whistling in the Dark, about the miners' strike,
so did They Might be giants, but thats entirely beside the point.

In fact my whole message is alarmingly off topic. Must fix this.
In a minute...i've got a review from a magazine called Magnet but i
refuse to post it until i've read all the digests i've got, in case
someone else has. So. Just be patient.

>3) i'm lovely friends with a)Chris Nettleton in the Nubiles. and b)
~>with David Ryder Prangly from Rachel Stamp (anyone ever heard of
>either?)

Christ, my flatmate's a MAD Rachel Stamp fan ever since she saw them at
T in the Park in the summer... don't like them too much myself. But his
hair is cool...

>WOW!!!!!! What a fantastic idea. Belle & Sebstain in a cathedral!!!!!!! >It
>would sound amazing.
just acquired a playstation and thanks to the funky audio CD options i
can now find out what B&S sounded like in a church. And the answer
is...shit. But that might just be the playstation.

Right. Have now trawled through all the digests for the past week (see
what happens when you get ill?) and haven't seen the review. So i might
as well post it :)

from Magnet magazine sept/oct 97
Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

those in the know swear by Belle And Sebastian, a soft-spoken
seven-piece combo from Glasgow. Given the band's favorable notices in
the U.K and U.S. press and its ascent on the college music charts,
cynics might expect the worst. Well, just forget all that - If You're
Feeling Sinister is a clever, timeless record to get enthusiastic over.
Starting with any number of reference points (Bob Geldof, Lou Reed and
Ray Davies), Belle And Sebastian constructs meditative yet frisky
soft-pop numbers punctuated by swells of cello, violin, sax and piano.
"Seeing Other People," which features snappy piano overtones that
ofcould have been played by Schroeder in Peanuts, demonstrates singer/
songwriter Stuart Murdoch's wit and nostalgia: "We lay on the bed there/
Kissing just for practice/ Could we please be objective/ Case the other
boys are queuing up behind us." There's too much Morrissey for comfort
in the not-as-melancholy-as-it-sounds "Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying"
which finds Murdoch claiming "Nobody writes them like they used to/ So
it may as well be me." Expect many more conversations throughout 1997,
particulrly when music types compose their year-end top-10 lists.

John Elasser

So there you go. it sounds very familiar...never mind.

love and stuff

caz