Sinister: re: manchester and arab strap

Andrew.Dean at xxx.NET Andrew.Dean at xxx.NET
Tue Nov 11 13:28:55 GMT 1997

Sinister: Manchester & Arab Strap

A FRIEND (ah6991 at bristol.ac.uk)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:54:26 +0000 (GMT)

>So whats the age limit on the gigs? My little brother is
>fourteen and a completely devoted fan - is there any chance
>of him getting in?
>And are they gonna be played in churches again?

um, i don't know. licensed venues are usually 18+ but
manchester town hall (where the gig is) isn't your usual
venue so you may be lucky. i've noticed young kids in a
couple of the gigs (glasgow and new york to be exact) but i
think they are related to the band in some way so...

actually, someone mentioned them playing cathedrals but
stuart m mentioned in the tour diary thing from the mm that
the sound is really soupy and they'd sound dreadful so...

>I bought an Arab Strap single called The Clearing earlier
>this year which claims to feature Isobel Campbell and Chris
>Geddes - is this true?

no, they lied on the sleeve... of course it's true. and i
think it says on there what they do - isobel cello, chris
keyboards of some sort. chris and stuart m. helped out on
the arab strap peel session as well, keyboards and piano
again, maybe backing vox.

speaking of which, i noticed 'the smell of outdoor cooking'
has been released. is this the peel session version and / or
is there any b&s involvement? i didn't buy it at the time
and it's 'limited' so... and there's that remix they did for
someone else which sounds like aiden just speaks over the
top of a track that was formerly an instrumental. good
though. 'i tell you, it's always the same girl'...

>Also, would it sound stupid if I said that having bought
>the Mogwei album (cos you lot told me to) I just don't get
>it? Should I just listen to it more or is it's strangeness
>it's charm?

are you a nuclear physicist perchance? no, that was alistair
and paul both of whom belong to the list's old people
brigade so you should take what they say with a pinch of
salt if you're one of the youngsters. the older people here,
as i've pointed out before, have strange(r) tastes in music.
i have big theories about this but someone's already had a
go at me for mentioning it so i'll keep them to myself. and
yeah, listening to things more is always helpful.

>For your census thing I'm 19 and a student of Physics and
>Philosophy

fuck, i was only joking about the pysicist thing too
(because of the fact you used strangeness and charm in the
same sentence).

andy
returning from self imposed list exile for a few minutes...

"How's everything?"
"Good. You?"
"Oh, beautiful."