Sinister: Beatniks, lemurs, the usual...

stephen troussé poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 12 12:17:46 GMT 1997

Mighty quiet round these parts all of a sudden, ain't it?

Here's a thing. My friend Jo has just lent me this book by Toby Litt called
'Beatniks', about a couple of guys who refuse to acknowledge the existence
of anything after that day in 1966 when Mr Zimmerman pranged his pushbike.
So much so that when they decide to drive to Brighton, they realise that
they can't take the M25 because that would be, like, acknowledging that the
world had moved on in the last thirty years. 'They're kinda like Belle and
Sebastian', says Jo, 'Cos  the world hasn't changed for them since the
Go-Betweens left Postcard!' Hmmm
.

And so to the heated lemur debate. I know for a FACT that they swam to
Madagascar. The cute little creatures' aquatic abilities were well known to
dastardly German U-Boat Kapitans in WWII, who would strap mines to their
backs and point them in the direction of the nearest British ship.

Stephen