Sinister: re: old chaps and their tastes

Peter Miller and/or Arantxa Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Nov 13 10:22:34 GMT 1997

Hopkins T wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
> > no, that was alistair
> > and paul both of whom belong to the list's old people
> > brigade so you should take what they say with a pinch of
>
> > salt if you're one of the youngsters. the older people
> here,
> > as i've pointed out before, have strange(r) tastes in
> music.
> > i have big theories about this but someone's already had
> > go at me for mentioning it so i'll keep them to myself.
> and
> > yeah, listening to things more is always helpful.
> >

>         And I say:
>         No, no, please tell us what your theory is! I
> guess I qualify as
> middle aged in this list's terms (being three years or so
> short of the
> duke's venerable tally (dotage? no...), but I guess I
> qualify as one of
> the strange(r) musical tastes lot. For example, my record
> buying at the
> weekend consisted of reggae (a roots compilation and some
> early 80s King
> Tubby dancehall 10"compilation), country music (an album
> of scratchy
> bluegrassy stuff by The Country Gentlemen and the See For
> Miles
> compilation called Open Country) and hip-hop (the new-ish
> Latyrx EP).
>         Maybe that doesn'y qualify as strange by this
> list's standards.
>         The fellow in the shop certainly gave me a funny
> look.
>         Tim

That could be another thread, funny looks in record
shops...the funniest look I ever got in a record shop was
when I bought a Sun Ra LP in Swordfish Records in
Birmingham. They both had a good laugh at my expense, the
cheeky monkeys. To cap it all, when my dad saw the record he
said, "Who's that fatty?"

Which just goes to show.

B&S bit. After months of trying, I finally had a Belle and
Sebastian dream! It was a concert and they sounded
completely different. People from the audience were invited
up on stage to play the glockenspiel. Stuart Murdoch showed
me his underpants (I don't know why). They were turquoise
bikini bottoms.

Freaky, eh? Any psychologists on the list? Amateur or
otherwise....

Peter