Sinister: susannah's project

stephen troussé poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 13 15:08:36 GMT 1997

> Inspired by Robert McTaggarts attempts with mocking up car crashes in the
snow
> etc. I have decided to go the whole hog and spend an evening recreating
those
> covers with a standard Boots camera.......

I can only applaud your efforts, susannah. There are several other covers I
would like to see recreated in a similar way: 1) Roxy Music's Stranded
(needed: 1 panther) 2) Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen (motorbike and rubbish
beard) and 3) the Pogues' Rum, Sodomy and the Lash (tricky)...

This lemur business is getting a bit tired... And anyway, meerkats are much
cooler! For a cornucopia of intruiging meerkat information try
http://www.meerkats.org...

Finally, getting back on topic...  was there a thread a while ago about
close encounters with our favourite oddball popsters? Well anyway, here's
mine: I was working up in Edinburgh at the Book Festival this summer, and
one afternoon I went walking down the Royal Mile to watch the street
entertainers. And who should I see watching some fire-breathing dwarf
juggling kitchen knives??? Stevie Jackson, that's who. I could barely
contain my excitement and went over to express my enthusiasm for his
bravura performance of 'Like a Rolling Stone' at the Islington Chapel. I
was wearing my mad playgroup leader orange B&S t-shirt at the time, and I
think he probably thought I was some kind of stalker...

Incidentally, duke, I think Simon Reynolds would almost definitely see B&S
as crypto-cutie C86 throwbacks. Although he surprised me with eulogy of the
Slits in this month's Uncut, so anything's possible...

Stephen