Sinister: "It's never too late to have a second childhood"

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Sun Nov 16 03:39:34 GMT 1997

It's funny, this whole pop music/adolescence thing.  Obviously there's
a world of difference between 'growing up' and 'growing old', and to
some extent between 'childish' and 'childlike'.  I'll accept growing
up, I'll accept having to work, pay bills, keeping the house OK, the
whole package of adulthood.  What I'll refuse to accept until the day
I die, is this idea of certain things being out of bounds once you're
25.  Things you're supposed to do - buying state-of-the-art hi-fi,
when you only have Chris de Burgh records.  I'm not on a trail to
recapture my lost youth, I'm still living it, every week brings a
whole bunch of new records to hear, to buy, to drown myself in and I
don't think that feeling will ever go away.  It's the whole death of
enthusiasm, I simply can't accept.  I don't feel 16, I don't feel 46.
I just feel alive.

Three little anecdotes leap to mind:

1	 My father read 'Catcher in the Rye' when he was 48.  He loved
it.

2	Talking to my cousin from Perth (aged 18) at my sister's
wedding and asking him what sort of music he liked.  'Aww, you won't
have heard of them, they're called Belle and Sebastian'.  When I said
'Oh I love them', he was astonished 'but you're 30, you should be
listening to jazz'.

3	Working away for a week with an ex-Navy captain, going out for
a beer with him and him talking about opera, an art form that leaves
me cold, frankly, and being enraptured by this middle aged guy's
enthusiasm for the music he loved.

I don't know why I mention these things, they just seemed relevant.

I'm off to see the Pastels, cheerio

Love Tag  xxx

PS	And for those who you don't see the link between football and
Belle and Sebastian, someone I know, a devoted Port Vale fan, got, for
his birthday, a photo of Vale scoring, with the lyrics to 'Like Dylan
and the Movies' emblazoned over the top.  'You're worth the trouble
and you're worth the pain...I will love you over'.  And even though
they beat us last week, it is still a beautiful and heartfelt
thing....