Sinister: Elvis/Fakers

Smundy97 at xxx.com Smundy97 at xxx.com
Sun Nov 16 17:59:45 GMT 1997

Various people at various times have mentioned Century of Fakers being a
rehash of Century of Elvis (fair enough, one of these was Nick Hornby, and
what would he know!!!), and I don't want to sound like a trainspotter, but
... has anyone else noticed that if you listen VERY VERY carefully to Elvis,
you can hear the words to Fakers being sung after the intro and before the
spoken word bit begins - as if the mics on the instruments are picking up
some of the vocals, despite the fact that they've been dubbed out -- if you
see what I mean.
Is that conclusive evidence that Elvis is a rehash of Fakers, and not the
other way round?
Also, why would Century of Elvis be called Century of Elvis if not for the
fact that is is a different version of Century of Fakers.

Now, going off-topic (BURN ME!! HANG ME!! STONE ME!!) - Galaxie 500's On Fire
has other lyrical gems, as well as the one about "shoes talking to me" - but
I can't remember any at the moment - will listen to it later and report back

Re: the heated debate about sarah records earlier on, why doesn't someone set
up a mailing list specifically for this (er, don't look at me, I've just
about worked out how to send e-mail) and what's with Shinkansen - the only
thing I've seen on the label is the marvellous Trembling Blue Stars LP -
anyone know? - mind you, half of you lot probably work for them/have slept
with them/ had a punch-up with them on a barge in Bristol