Sinister: the perfect album for xmas present

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Tue Nov 18 21:41:33 GMT 1997

Steve Genge wrote ...

>Someplace this week I saw a mention for the Trembling Blue Stars album
>with the tag line that if that special person in your life has got "If
>You're Feeling Sinister" buy them the Trembling Blue Stars album for
>xmas.  Not sure about that advice myself East River Pipe being much
>better.  Maybe we could launch the perfect album for xmas present
>thread now?

Genevieve (marvellous name) already mentioned in another context ...

>And on Spiritualized! Ladies and Gentlemen..beautiful album especially
>the title track,it's very hushed vocals in rounds with light little bells in
>background,then they shake you up a bit with more rockier...Electricity..but
>then,such sadness..Broken Heart...one of the best sad songs...Pure Phase
>(earlier album) is quite good too....

Well, I've been unsubscribed for several weeks ... dunno whether anybody
mentioned the extraordinary packaging of both CD versions, making those
releases very special presents ... I've praised several friends with the
luminescent "Pure phase" CD ("glowing" in the dark), each and every one was
most pleased. This is not to say that you shouldn't give away East River
Pipe CD's as well, I'd suggest the singles compilation "Shining hours in a
can" as an introduction ...

Re: Bloke depression vs. Girl depression

Dan wrote ...

>What about us poor men? I'm am in serious GIRL depression at the moment
>and I find Gin & Tonic with Belle & Sebastian to be a much better
>comfort than port (will have to go buy doughnuts tomorrow). You are
>definitely right, music is a great thing to take solace in, it's not
>about how old or young you are but what you feel inside, a sort of
>externalization of your mental state. Why would it be otherwise that
>Beth (and myself) both feel better and worse for listening?

I won't contribute in essence, only mention my favourite and _criminally_
underrated stuff for such occassions, since some people may want to please
themselves with xmas presents ... _early_ Jacobites (Dave Kusworth & Nikki
Sudden), the following reissue CD's should be easily available in UK records
shops (else write to Regency Sound @ Trident Music International, PO Box
2903, London, N1 3NE, UK) and are sequenced as regards my personal
preferences ...

Jacobites - Robespierre's Velvet Basement (Janida 02)
Jacobites - Hawks Get Religion (Janida 03)
Jacobites - Jacobites (Janida 01)

Up there with "Robespierre's Velvet Basement" is Dave Kusworth's solo album
"All The Heartbreak Stories"
(Creation 108) ... I could well imagine that some listees would like those
records despite the rougher approach when compared to B&S, the Dave Kusworth
album is probably the most accessible ... in any event I'd be interested in
other people's opinion on those records. The advanced depressive may fall
for "Sister Lovers" by Big Star or "The Painted Word" by the Television
Personalities ... besides, anybody mentioned the Revolving Paint Dream on
this list before ?

What am I doing here writing a lengthy mail about depressive records ... my
apologies ...

"All I wanted was to sing the saddest song"

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella
But more upon the just because