Sinister: Re: On the radio

Nick_Dastoor.BSHO at xxx.com Nick_Dastoor.BSHO at xxx.com
Wed Nov 19 10:38:54 GMT 1997

  >Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:11:27 +0000
  >From: Ricky HAGGETT <R.Haggett at xxx.uk>
  >Subject: Sinister: On the radio
  >

  >For ages I thought it was:
  >
  >"Belle and Sebastian / on the radio / They insulted children / on the radio"
  >
  >It kinda sucks when you find out that the real lyrics aren't quite as good as

  >what you thought they were. Oh well.
  >
  >Ricky

  Here I am, just got in this morning to start a day's hard graft as a
  corporate
  library assistant  (the worrying is that through a strange combination of
  circumstances and lack of courage this is actually something
  of a career choice) and I flick though my sinister-digest to find this.  I
  agree that Stuart Murdoch missed a trick when he failed to pen this
  fantastic alternative.  I couldn't stop myself laughing even when
  serious-looking middle-aged men from Supplies and Transport passed
  through the library and nodded their morning greeting.

  I know we've had this thread before, but don't you think it's odd that such
  a softly-spoken and not very raucous (rock beast Le Pastie de la
  Bourgeoisie excepted) band as Belle And Sebastian should create such
  confusion with their lyrics?  On their theme tune Stuart Murdoch seems to
  sing his F's like B's.  As in:

  "Bella you are ill, you'd better take a weight up off your mind"

  and

  "When I was young you were the only bun in town"

  which hit a particular note for me since I used to call my only-just-ex-
  girlfriend 'Bun' on account of her surname being Bunney.

  What a wittering start to my first posting.  I could have made a splash, I
  could have been a ink polaroid competitor, I could have been a whistle,
  could have been a clock.  Instead I'm just a late entrant to the whole
  party, who missed out by having lost his ear for a phenomenon
  when he heard B&S so long ago on the Mark Radcliffe show but
  didn't look up from his newspaper, merely registering Judy and the
  Dream of Horses and thinking it a little twee.  Sigh.  See you all in
  Manchester.

  Nick Dastoor
  nick_dastoor.bsho at notes.compuserve com
  Horses .  I still