Sinister: spiritualized

susannah susannah at xxx.net
Sun Nov 23 15:03:43 GMT 1997

on 23 Nov 97, Hunn wrote...

>I saw them(spiritualized) about a month ago at the UEA (Norwich) and, hand on
heart, it
>was the best and most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in my
>life (21 years if anyone's interested).
>Although the band's regular keyboard player - the ravishing Kate Radley,
>alledged partner of Richard Ashcroft - was not there, the combination of
>strings, brass, classiccal samples, beutifully fucked-up guitars and not to
>mention Jason's fantastic vocals floating out amongst us fortunate enough to be

>there and touching our heartstrings unlike anything ever experienced before or
>since.
>They played for a full 2 hour set with not even one interlude between
>tracks. Jason maintained the musical bliss throughout by blending and
>fusing each track into each other with what seemed to be spontaneous
>bursts of mellow genious with his guitar. Perfection.  All this was
>intertwined with breathtaking laser visual effects that took me into
>what seemed another planet in a dimension far away from the shitty
>reality of a cold october night in Norfolk. I was in awe of the whole
>thing, dumbstruck by the chaos and psychedelia thatcould have only been
>produced by Jason Pierce, a man who refuses to eat any form of solid food
>whatsoever (seriously!).  Jason is well known for his indulges into the
>world of chemical concoctions, making Keith Richards look like Father
>Christmas.
>An earlier album release of his entitled "Taking drugs to make music to
>take drugs to" in his former band SPACEMEN 3 sums his philosophy nicely.
>Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space - brilliant, beautiful,
>epic, a masterpiece, perfection.  I could go on and on but this IS a B&S
>list after all so I'm sorry if I've bored anyone with my rantings.
>Please buy the album though and you'll find out for yourself.

Did you take any 'substances' whilst watching the band that night, cos
you do seem to be have travelled to another plane judging by your review ;-)

I remember partaking of some particular herb before seeing Flowered Up of all
things
and in my state of mind actually thinking they were AWESOME ( god almighty).
They had this man in a big polysytrene 'flower' get up and I thought it was
BEAUTIFUL, telling all my friends the next day about this fantastic new band.
They made one or two half baked 'baggy' singles and sank without trace.

Susannah xx

susannah at tormentor.clara.net