Sinister: Sessions at West 54th

Jim Nisbet jim.nisbet at xxx.com
Mon Nov 24 08:23:56 GMT 1997

Not news of the B&S appearance I'm afraid but a reference in an article
in today's Independent on Sunday review section in the UK.  The piece is
a profile of film-maker DA Pennebaker, mainly about his 'rockumentaries'
but it also tells us that he is responsible for the interview segments in
the TV programme.  After a description for those of us on this side of
the pond (which makes it sound like a programme well worth watching and
not unlike Later with Jools Holland) it goes on:

'Although Pennebaker's involvement is restricted to 10 minutes of
interviews in each hour-long episode, he apparently exerts pulling power,
not only among viewers but performers.  Douridas says the prospect of
meeting the veteran film-maker lured the chronically diffident Scottish
band Belle and Sebastian into giving their first television performance
(they had a song called "Like Dylan in the Movies" on their last album).
"They were very shy", recalls Pennebaker.  "I really liked them."'

Jim