Sinister: Sessions at West 54th

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Tue Nov 25 05:01:35 GMT 1997

>  profile of film-maker DA Pennebaker, mainly about his 'rockumentaries'
>  but it also tells us that he is responsible for the interview segments in
>  the TV programme.  After a description for those of us on this side of
>  the pond (which makes it sound like a programme well worth watching and
>  not unlike Later with Jools Holland) it goes on:

Having seen the show -- who woulda thought that those interviews had any
involvement by DA Pennebaker!?!  I have found them notably unimpressive, and
have been thinking that Douridas was a complete loss as an interviewer.  He
asked MeChele N'dege Ochello if her name fits on her driver's license... it's
usually "in-depth" questions like that so far as I've seen.  This past
Saturday we were treated to Fiona Apple going on about how she's not a snotty
little bitch but just has no time to talk to people because they don't really
really listen to her.  (We stopped listening, after throwing things at the
television.  I just love interactive TV).   Some guests don't do interviews
-- Patti Smith didn't.   The musical segments that I've seen are great
though.   The interviews are taped before the musical segment, without the
audience, so I don't know how the B&S interview will be.   I'm a little
worried, because the band does indeed seem so shy -- I can't see Douridas
getting much.  But time will tell (hopefully soon -- it isn't on the schedule
through December).

Anyhow, the interviews ain't no "Don't Look Back."