Sinister: sinister: mamas and papas, sisters and brothers-in-law

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Wed Nov 26 12:35:42 GMT 1997

hello everybody (hello doctor Nick),

Senor Miller mentioned showing off his Sebs (as I shall insist on
calling them from now on, it's more RAWK) T-shirt to his ma + pa.
Keeping the family theme alive, my father asked me last week 'who's
this Belle and Sebastian then?  What have they done that I know?'.
Apparently my sister had been discussing the possibility of going to
the Manchester gigs (her and her husband are particularly fond of
'Stars of Track and Field', he's a keen athelete and is convinced the
song is about him - I do wonder if he's listened to the lyrics), and
this had aroused my father's curiosity.  It's always difficult to
answer questions like this from my parents.  'They're a pop
group....err...they're great...my favourite group...err, they're from
Glasgow, like you (remind me never to go into advertising)'.  Then I
played 'IYFS'.  The response...'Could you just turn it down a wee bit,
please, it's quite good, but awful noisy'.  Well, I tried.

Can anyone confirm that Channel 4 text are giving double points to any
vote for the Sebs in their single of the year poll?  Them and All
Saints, apparently.

Oh one other thing....

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:42:43 +0000, Andrew Dean wrote:

>and steve lamacq continues to get on my tits with last
>night's showing...

What???? Our Steve, the nation's favourite Indie Guru, with his
'trusty DM's' his chirpy 'see you down the front at the next Embrace
gig', and his hard-hitting weekly column in Melody Maker (the
highlight of this boy's Wednesdays).  We have a picture of him on our
wall.  He's the cutting edge, yet somehow 'down with the kids' as
well.  Anyone who heard the Sebs' session last time around will know
that no-one in the world can say 'whooping' quite like Steve Lamacq.

Andrew, you're right.  He is Satan.

Love Tag xx