Sinister: Tales of Beatnik Glory

stephen troussé poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 27 13:44:48 GMT 1997

> Paige Rosella wrote:
>
> > Hello all.
> > A while back, some were posting about a book called Beatnik, or
something to that effect.  I have looked for it everywhere here in NYC, but
have  had no success.  Would someone be kind enough to post more details
about it so that I may be better armed in my queries to those bookstore
types?  That would be greatly appreciated!

I've had quite a few enquiries about this book. It's by Toby
Litt, and it's published by Secker and Warburg. It probably isn't available
in America at the moment, although his first collection of short stories,
'Adventures in Capitalism', may be. The stories include ruminations on the
meaning of Mr Kipling and his exceedingly good cakes, and tube ads for car
insurance.

Anyway, I probably won't read my copy of 'Beatniks' again, so I thought I'd
set a competition for anyone who wants it. I've got a promo copy of a CD
from Rykodisc called 'Kicks, Joy, Darkness - the pomes of Jack Kerouac'
(musical interpretations by Mikey Stipe, Johnny Depp, Patti Smith) which
I'm unlikely to listen to, and I'll throw that in as well.

So if you'd like to win these two beat artefacts, the questions is:

The indisputable Top Cat had a number of close friends who got to call him
'TC' (providing it was with dignity), but WHAT WAS THE NAME OF HIS BEATNIK
PAL (you know, the one who wore a beret and shades)?

Answers by next Monday, please.

Stephen