Sinister: Re:Potential External Virus

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Nov 27 14:29:02 GMT 1997

David & Katrina wrote:

> Sven Fuchs wrote:
>
> > According to our computer support group guy it is a
> hoax. no virus can
> > spread just by opening email-messages.
> >
> > Sven
>
> which is weird really, 'cos as silly as it is, and as much
> as it's obvious
> it's a hoax, i've had that message sent to me three times
> this summer by
> different caring people.

It's not obvious that it's a hoax if (like me) you don't
know the first thing about computers. I suppose that's who
they're aimed at. I have a horror of having my hard disk (or
anything else for that matter) wiped by an external
intruder, so I make sure and keep a copy of all the
information contained therein. What I do is get the sharp
end of a compass and engrave it all in the run-off grooves
of my collection of old 78 rpm discs. That way I'm safe from
the potential ravages of virus-filled e-mails and electrical
storms alike.

Private conversation to save stamps:

Archie Shepp: thanks for the goodies. Yours will be winging
its way as soon as I rescue it from the car. Charlotte: I am
unable to locate your address. I think a virus must have
come along and "wiped" it before I had chance to engrave it.
Also, you can breathe easily, as I've just sent off the
stuff about moveable chattels.

Here is a B&S ponderable problem:

Municipal pool, you're a junior lifesaver....does that mean
a life saver who is junior, or a saver of junior lives? Eh?
I prefer the latter, because it maintains the JD Salinger
obsession that runs throughout Mister Murdoch's ramblings.

There's another possibilty for the tribute band: The Junior
Lifesavers.

Sad to hear about Partick Thistle's problems. It seems
strange that they could go from supplying extravagantly
permed World Cup stars to this sorry state of affairs in a
few short years. I used to enjoy seeing The Jags' three or
four suppoerters trudging their way home on Saturday
evenings, proudly wearing their scarves. I have even graced
the terraces of Firhill on one memorable occasion, but not
to see Partick Thistle. It was a veritable clash of the
titans - Clyde versus Ayr United! I can't remember the
score, but there was lots of goalmouth action. This was in
the days before computer virus were a common conversation
topic.

Peter "Trojan Horse" Miller