Sinister: fever pitch!

Matt Locke matt at xxx.com
Fri Nov 28 11:16:41 GMT 1997

hello!
I was surfing around this morning (horrible word, surfing, maybe we should start saying 'reeling around the web', in a drunk/scots homage?) andt i wondered if anyone had seen the B&S review that Nick Hornby did for Salon Magazine? its at
www.salonmagazine.com/music/

After quite a bit of waffle, ol' nick comes down quite firmly on the side of B&S as the only solution to 'New Britainitis'.... ( and I quote)

'Maybe you have to be living here to appreciate just how welcome this kind of egoless homecooked whimsy is at the moment, but if you've heard the Oasis album, or seen the mass Disteria on TV, you can probably guess. Me, I'm going to sit the New Britain out with a couple of Belle and Sebastian EPs and a good book; it won't be long before we turn back into ourselves again'

Seeing as some Hollywood studio has reportedly paid £££££ for the film rights to Nick's forthcoming book, maybe we should start lobbying him to include a B&S track on the soundtrack.....

Actually, I've just realised that this review was posted on 14 Nov, so you may have already covered this on the list (I'm a newbie...) so apologies if you have.

Incidentally, I wasn't surprised to hear that the 13th Note has taken over Ventura's old space, as it was a shit bar anyway... (although a friend of mine ran a sunday morning club there for a while back in 91, if anyone remembers that? there was free cereal and coffee, papers, board games and chiiled jazz/funk, and the flyer was based on the cinnamon toast crunch ceral box.... this was before games in clubs was fashionable as well...)

s'all for now,

mattxx