Sinister: Nick Drake

oc245d8aff at xxx.net oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Wed Oct 1 23:10:57 BST 1997

william philip bowen#] wrote:

> Yes.
> There was a great piece on Nick Drake in Mojo in the
> February issue (or it may
> have been March issue - I remember reading it on the
> aeroplane to the West
> Indies, where we were studying the evolution of tree
> lizards whilst on a field trip -
> interesting eh!!)
> I agree that Nick Drake is more mournful (than bleak!!).
> The comparison I would make is that both have delightful
> tunes, interesting lyrics -
> which connect with the listener - and make you wish to
> have heard them on the
> beach at Guirdil bothy on the deserted Isle of Rum!!
> Sorry I cannot make it sound more poetic, but I am an
> ecologist!!
> Philip

This list gets stranger and stranger. Since when have tree
lizards gone on field trips?

Once upon a time I almost met Nick Drake's sister, the one
who used to be in Crossroads. She was appearing alongside
Ian "You stupid boy" Lavender in Hastings. At the time I was
only vaguely aware of her brother. I have to say that I
think the first time you hear B&S the similarity is quite
striking, but then you stop noticing.

Time for beddy-byes.

Peter