Sinister: String Band Again (Or)

Chris Leonard cleonard at xxx.COM
Fri Oct 3 09:22:21 BST 1997

Hello, just a bit about the String Band....I promise not to go on cos I
presume most folk on the list won't be interested

Here's what I said

>Stuart Murdoch's voice occasionally reminds me of the Incredible String
>Band.  This is initially what attracted me to B & S.

Here's what Charlotte Said

>>   I can't believe my eyes - someone has mentioned the Incredible String
>>   Band! Completely underrated. I read that they have just reformed and
>>   are about to play some gigs, believe it or not.
>>
>>  I must admit the connection is not obvious at first sight... nor at
>>    second sight... er, which B&S songs are you thinking of?

I was meaning the *voice* rather than the songs.  You know, the fellow
out of the String Band with the higher voice (Robin Williamson I think).
 It strikes me especially in B&S ballads like "The Boy Done Wrong
Again".  Both have quiet voices, similar accents and a tendency to
pronounce "a" as in "say" instead of "cat".  Even when I first got
"Sinister" the first thing that struck me was that they had a song
called "Fox in the Snow", which made me instantly think of  the String
Band song title "Ducks on a Pond".

That's just what I think.  The music and the lyrics are totally
different, just the voice.

Apologies to anyone who doesn't know/care what I'm on about.

Chris