Sinister: Pulp controversy

Andrew O'Sullivan aeos at xxx.com
Fri Oct 3 22:33:40 BST 1997

> Has anyone read the small print beneath the lyrics for Pulp albums? It
says,
> "Please do not read the lyrics while listening to this recording". Maybe
> that'd be a good idea for B&S...?

That line haunted me for years. I tried to adopt that as a rule of thumb,
but it was just the other day, while listening to 4st 7lb from The Holy
Bible by the Manics - I thought "I know these are fabulous words, but I
can't hear half of them. What's the point of missing out on them just for
some petty statement on a few albums half as good as this one [bearing in
mind that The Holy Bible is at least twice as good as most contenders]."

So I followed it with the lyrics, and for the first time realised that he
was singing 'This discipline's so rare so please applaud", "It's the way
you're built my father said, but I can change".......and countless other
products of the genius that was Richey James in 1994.

So, basically, no. If you don't understand what Stuart's singing [unlikely
in itself], for God's sake look it up!

*	*	*	*	*
Andrew O'Sullivan
aeos at dial.pipex.com