Sinister: Belle and Sebastian at Peel Acres

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 3 17:00:29 BST 1997

I'm more partial to Oasis now than I ever was. I think it's
because of the Flying V guitar in that video with all the
helicopters. I see no reason why brickkies should or
shouldn't make music, or musicians become brickies.
Communists used to do that as punishment for excess
grooviness. I also think it's OK to nick tunes. There are
only so many ways to make the air vibrate. If you think up
something "new" someone else will immediately copy it and
run off with all the money. And where do you draw the line
between "influenced by" and "ripping off"? It keeps lawyers
in business, I suppose.

[Keith Watson]
Nothing really against brickies, it was more a way of getting across what I meant than singling out Bricklayers for non-music making duties. Again, it's not really the nicking tunes that's the irritating bit - it's a fact that they're crap as far as I can see and that they're all the same - the fact that Noel considers himself one of the worlds greatest ever songwriters and that shitloads of people are currently slapping him on the back and agreeing that rankles a little - I'm also a little sick of people with their arms around Paul Bloody Weller in the NME.