Sinister: compo

ua6jm ua6jm at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 5 17:22:02 BST 1997

Here's my attempt at an Ink Polaroid, plus my intial unlurk from the list.

This one's my favourite.  It's from around seven years ago, when my dad
took myself and my sister up to the dams in the country.  It was just
after my dad and mum had split up, towards the end of the summer.  The
year before, my dad had taken a nervous breakdown and had mellowed out,
learned to show his feelings a bit more.  Trouble is, he showed his
feelings to another woman as well.  The dams are always one of my
favourite places.  They're right on the boundary between the country and
the city, and they're right beside the wee town I used to go to to play
tennis with my uncle, even though I had to borrow a racquet because I
couldn't afford my own.  It wasn't really a town, more like a scheme that
happened to be outside the city limits.  My dad told me the dams supplied
water to thousands of people in the city, and they'd been built a hundred
years ago and still remained intact.  You can see me in the background,
sitting on the edge of a large pool of water.  There's a small waterfall
running into the pool.  My dad and my sister are in front of me, staring
into the camera, squinting cause of the sun.  I'm wearing my red and
white striped polo top, which I got for my 11th birthday from my mum.
There's car in the background too, speeding past on the small road.  I
started the big school that year, stopped reading Smash Hits and started
reading Melody Maker and NME.  I had my first instance of true love that
year, but nothing happened.  My dad wasn't as bald then as he is now.  I
like him more now than I did then.  My mum's not in the picture, which is
sad.  It was a really nice sunny day.

Jonathan Mackie
ua6jm at abdn.ac.uk