Sinister: B'n'S Multi-Media Extravaganza

oc245d8aff at xxx.net oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Sun Oct 5 17:43:18 BST 1997

Klas asked for a review of the new EP, so here's a fully
clickable one. I don't know if anyone will find it useful or
not. It was meant to be even more fully clickable but I got
fed up with the damn computer getting disconnected or
whatever it is that happens every five minutes or so on the
information superhighway.

A Century of Fakers:
Elegy in a vintage keyboard shop. Tales of impossible love
and falling off one's bike on the way to see one's bird.
Quite sad, quite pretty. Vaguely reminiscent of O Caroline
by Robert Wyatt or Soft Machine or Matching Mole, not sure
which.
http://www.furious.com/perfect/wyatt.html
is a nice interview with the aforementioned hairy old hippy.
Nothing to do with B&S, at least not directly. A good read,
nevertheless.

Le Pastie de la Bourgoisie
Up tempo number. Mentions Judy Blume. Who?
http://www.judyblume.com/home.html
Contains some good advice for writers. There are a lot of
them on this list, whether they know it or not, judging by
the compo entries. And I mean that most shincerely, folks...

Beautiful
Starts off quiet. Later on all the instruments come in. It's
very effective. The lyrics intersect the universal. Some
striking images of suffering and solidarity. Am I getting
carried away? Probably, but I think this is one of B&S's
best songs. Shows great restraint and control. A bit like
Wonderful by the Beach Boys. But not much.

Put the Book Back on the Shelf
The return of Sebastian. Wrote a book about himself, but
everyone left it on the shelf. Should take it to the library
in Richard Brautigan's book The Abortion, which is quite a
nice book, although not as good as So The Wind Won't Blow It
All Away, which is about a boy who buys bullets instead of a
hamburger. The song mentions comic genius Sid James, and
seems to give him supernatural powers. Not as strange as it
may sound. He breathed life into characters such as Henry
VIII and the Rumpo Kid.  Here is a nice tribute to the great
man, well worth reading in my opinion.
http://www.adavids.demon.co.uk/carry/sidtribute.html
This one will probably have lots of books on shelves:
http://www.bne.es/
It's the Spanish National Library, whatever that is.

Songs for Children (?)
"Hidden" bonus track, quite an effective ending to the EP.
Sounds distant and lost.

There, I didn't use the word "fantastic" once. Isn't it a
boring Sunday? I almost wish I could watch Songs of Praise
and Antiques Roadshow. Instead I'm listening to that Mick
Harvey album of Gainsbourg songs, waiting impatiently for
the next one.

A question: Is "Popcorn" by Hot Butter the music that they
used to use for trampolining programmes on the telly? I
trust that one of our older viewers will know what the
bloody hell I'm on about.

No answer to that Paris question yet? I'm seriously
considering slinging a string of onions around my neck and
pedalling up to gay Paree for that one.

Those new t-shirt designs are really nice. Who did the
picture?

It's the World Cycling Championships this week. I'm hoping
to infiltrate the pits area and sellotape a few lolly sticks
to the competitors' spokes, so that they sound like
motorbikes. Look out for me on the telly. I'm going to wear
my lunatic playgroup leader B&S t-shirt.

Peter