Sinister: belle & sebastian

MNOL1 MNOL1 at xxx.au
Mon Oct 6 23:50:15 BST 1997

For all Belle & Sebastian lovers,

This is my first ever letter to this list, so if you dont read it I will
be very unhappy.

A BIT ABOUT MYSELF - I am a university student in Melbourne, Australia
studying English (fiction writing and children's literature) and
Psychology.

HOW I HEARD ABOUT B & S - Whilst reading an English music magazine in
January I saw a review of Sinister and liked the description of the music
and the name of the band.  About 6 months later I was looking through the
'B' section of a music import store and stumbled upon the album, even
though I had never heard any B & S I had an impulse to buy it, so I did,
fell in love on the first listen and have no desire to scale down the
relationship.

FAVOURITE SONGS are "Seeing Other People", "Fox in the Snow" and "Belle
and Sebastian".  What I really love about B & S is the atmosphere of the
music and the imagery that goes along with it.  When I listen to the
songs they mean something, they can live on their own, and they have a
specific voice - or feeling - or an atmosphere.  I think of
relationships, life, country.  I think of young, deep, dreaming, sad,
happy.  I picture the songs in my mind and they seem so there, and real
and alive.
I dont know if I explained that very well but that is why i like B & S.
Other music I like includes Saint Etienne, Suede, Smiths, Sinead
O'Connor, Nick Cave, Pulp, Placebo, Tricky and (at the risk of being
struck off the list), I love BiS.

PROFILE OF B & S IN AUSTRALIA is practically nil.  I have never heard any
of their music anywhere - on TV or radio.  I have never seen a print
article, except for one good review of Dog on Wheels in a small
alternative magazine.  However, IYFSinister is just now appearing in
shops after being given a local release and hopefully all this will
change.  But Australia being Australia I am not expecting enough exposure
to prompt a tour.

I have been reading the mail on this list for a couple of weeks now and
enjoying it immensely.  This site is the only way I can keep up to date
with what is happening in B & S world.

*
*  FINALLY (hoping that youve read this far) I wish to make a plea.
*
*     please please please please please please please please please,
*
*       could someone dub me a copy of TIGERMILK?  I will send a tape and
*   a stamped return envelope and a dub of any music I have which you may
*   want.
*
*     please please please please please please please please please
*

I know everyone must be sick of this request every time someone new
subscribes but I am desperate and will do anything.

Thank-you for listening to me rave.  Please feel free to contact me at
the following address for any reason;

mnol at student.monash.edu.au

Marcus