Sinister: stars of the cycling track

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Mon Oct 6 21:41:29 BST 1997

> in the time trial, where British hopes rest on
> the ample
> shoulders of comedian Stan Boardman, bronze
> medal in
> Atlanta. The gold medalist (Indurain) has
> retired and the
> silver medalist (Olano) has chickened out, so
> there's
> everything to win for the cheeky chappie from
> Liverpool.

did i ever tell ypou about the time when i used to
ride around with graham obree, star of the
peculiar shaped bikes and Punk Rock riding
position?  Well i did.  I was never as good as him
obviously but my mate Gavin used to beat him all
the time... before he discovered vodka.  Actually
afterwards too.  Gav broke the scottish junior
record for the 50mile time trial, and told an
astonished obree as we rode home, 'it must have
been that bottle of vodka last night.'  Indeed it
must.  They don't tell you these things on A
Question Of Sport, do they?

> And
> before anyone accuses me of rabbiting on about
> issues
> entirely unrelated to Belle and Sebastian,
> cyclist are kind
> of stars of track and field and some of them are
> most
> definitely beautiful people, especially if you
> dig
> well-defined calf muscles and bulging thighs.

well spoken that man there.  And we all had a
thing for Rebecca Twig from the USA... those stars
and stripes skinsuits and that blonde hair...
oo-er.  What a star of the track SHE was.  oh yes
indeed.

And continuing the bikes and B&S connection: there
was the story of Stuart's new bike and it's
mileometer/computere wasn't there?  And the latest
'promo' shot has a bloke with a bike (not one
that's gonna win any medals at the track champs
mind...).  So stop whinging that this is off-topic
:-)

the duke.

PS i have many scars from track and field as a
result of all my cycling crashes... ha ha.  Sad
joke.

--
Tangents On-Line
http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/