Sinister: Sons of Showaddywaddy

oc245d8aff at xxx.net oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Tue Oct 7 19:46:44 BST 1997

Dr C.B.Stride wrote:

> > Am I right in thinking that another "son of
> Showaddywaddy"
>  once played football for Luton Town (and may still do)?
>
> Yes, Scott Oakes used to play for the 'Scum' (I'm a
> Watford fan!) -
> he now plays for Sheffield Wednesday.
>
> Chris

I had decided to turn over a new leaf earlier today. I
wasn't going to inflict anymore off-topic ramblings on
anyone. But I am so impressed by the speed and efficiency of
this answer that I am going to cast caution to the wind and
ask a follow-up question...which member of Showaddywaddy was
his dad?

Also...Popcorn by Hot Butter is indeed the music that will
forever be associated with little kids bouncing up and down
on trampolines in their pants and vests. I've also
rediscovered Fanfare for the Common Man by Emerson Lake and
Palmer. It's stirring stuff, perfectly encapsulates
mankind's daring and sporting prowess. I've almost remebered
that golf music...another vintage keyboard extravaganza, am
I correct? Like a more dynamic version of the theme from One
Man and his Dog. Did you know that sheepdogs respond very
well to instructions given by theremin? It's true. Hardly
practical, but that's not the point.

Before the remaining seven people unsubscribe, I've had a
fantastic idea!

Are we all familiar with The Rough Guide to Rock? If so you
will have noticed the tragic lack of an entry for Belle and
Sebastian. Perhaps we could have another competition, or
maybe a collaborative effort, to come up with a potted
history of the band and a bit of advice for newcomers to the
band. If it's accepted it gets put on the internet version
and eventually goes into a new edition of the print version,
thereby solving all the author's financial problems. It
would be a good way of sharing information, keep things
vaguely on topic, and provide a bit of exposure for our
favourite sixteen legged groove machine. I don't know enough
about the band to have ago myself, but I'm sure there's lots
of folk in the know on this list.

It's just a thought. What do you reckon? Good idea or bloody
stupid idea?

Katrina is still winning the B&S quiz with one correct entry
out of eight (Mick). Here are some clues:
People who wear Star Wars t-shirts invariably eat Monster
Munch.
University students always eat alphabetti spaghetti to help
them learn new words.
Religiously inclined lyricists always eat fish on Friday
because God insists on it.
Reincarnations of Keith Moon need to be able to bang away
like a man posessed for hours on end and think they're a
Tunnock's Teacake at the same time.
I'm afraid the rest are fairly interchangeable. Rice pudding
makes your hair a bit curly. Erm...Seymour Stein once
confused Worzel Gummidge with Johnny Marr... And that just
leaves Bernard Cribbins....

Let's go for a little walk...ba bum ba bum...under the moon
of love
Were Showaddywaddy brickie rock?

Peter