Sinister: B&S & McCarthy?

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Tue Oct 7 21:45:08 BST 1997

duke of harringay wrote:
> obvious and traditional ways.  In this, he sings
> in a style that could be likened to Malcolm Eden
> in the great lost 80s group McCarthy, a fact not
> unlinked to the next tune
>
> The marvellously titled Le Pastie De La
> Bourgeoisie (translates as apathy of the middle
> classes apparently) echoes McCarthys own great
> We Are All Bourgeois Now in title, and in
> sentiment it rather brings to mind the feelings
> behind their The Well Fed Point Of View, wherein
> the poetic concept of finding salvation and
> freedom from oppression lying within the soul is
> openly and vitriolically attacked.  I feel that

	Very intriguing! I don't have the new EP yet, but I am quite curious,
now that you brought McCarthy into the picture. I don't believe I've
seen that band mentioned here on this list. They released three records
on Midnight Music (I think) and two of these albums were recently
released onto a single CD, along with a Best Of... CD reissue which came
out before that. You may be more familiar with some of the McCarthy
members than you think, as Tim Gane of Stereolab was in the band all
along, and later on Laetitia Sadier joined up as well. I spent $30
getting the twofer, and I did regret it for a little bit (especially now
that Parasol is carrying it for $13!) but now I have decided it was
worth the money. So you ought to go try & find some McCarthy. The
reissues are all on Cherry Red.

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com
  |       |     http://www.citynet.net/personal/mick/SCastle.html
  |       |
  |       |     "Beware the other head of Science, Arthur. It bites!"
  |       |             - the Tick
  |       |