Sinister: RE: serge

Chris Leonard cleonard at xxx.COM
Wed Oct 8 15:57:11 BST 1997

> To those who question the excellence of the gainsbourg tribute in
> Cottiers, let me say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. I am,
> however, struggling to think of what was actually my favourite performance.
> But hasn't the lead singer from the bathers got a great voice?
> So was the concert in the QM good? After  wandering through Kelvingrove
> park in the rain I retired to a nearby pub and didn't find out about the
> changed location until it was too late.

Well, I enjoyed B&S. The only problem for me was the sheer volume of
people of the place  - to be expected at a free gig, I know. Much of the
B&S music is really quiet, or starts really quiet and the noise of
people talking often drowned them out (where I was standing anyway).
But what I could hear was good.  It seems like ages ago now - maybe time
has altered my perceptions.  Monica Queen done a turn as well.  And I
was standing next to Eugene Kelly.  He looked bored.  Douglas BMX Bandit
introduced them (hee hee, it's all coming back to me now) as the hippest
kids on the street, or something like that, which I recall finding
amusing.

The big downers were I had to wait for about hour to get a pint of QM
beer, which tastes like pish (tip: If your in the QM go for bottled
beer).  And I had to listen to the Pastels (I admire the Pastels unique
placing in Glasgow pop culture and am even thrilled when I buy records
out of John Smiths on Byres Road and get served by Stephen Pastel.  I
just think his music is shite.)

I think the concert was better than it would have been if it was in the
park.  Hey I shouldn't complain though.  It was free B & S for me.

Anyone else?

Chris