Sinister: re - the new ep

Johnston, John CT John.Johnston at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 8 18:04:24 BST 1997

>The other question is: do you reckon they'll go on top of the pops if it does
chart? I mean, >they don't even give photographs away never mind go on
the telly! It would be totally >brilliant since as the Duke says, they
are a complete antidote to most of the stuff around >at the moment, and
I don't think I'd ever have seen a band of their like on TOTP before.

I'd love to see B&S on 'the Pops' but with the slight apprehension that
if they then rocket to the top of the hit parade loving their music wont
be the cosy convivial habit it is for true believers - but I wish 'em
all the best, mind. And Keith is right: having them on TOTP would be
fantastic by showing what kind of music can be produced these days. I'd
put B&S on immeadiately after some ne'er-do-well Britpop-by-numbers band
and see if the surly lot can stand the juxtaposition (for all you
wrestling fans) with the toppermost of the poppermost.

The most unlikely TOTP moment I ever remember was when New Model Army
smashed into the top 45 at number 44 with No Rest. They had to stick
tape over the obscenities on their T-shirts (which were actually
advising people not to take Cocaine) and Slade the Leveller (crazy name
crazy guy!) prowled the stage snarling at some teeny-bopper in yellow
dungarees who insisted on jigging about clapping her hands above her
head like they were Black Lace.

Oh the majesty of Rock - the pageantry of Roll...

ta ra

john
xxx