Sinister: I'm back!

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 10 03:45:55 BST 1997

I've been in email limbo for the last week, having received no list
stuff due to BT shafting my Provider (ooer!).
I had a hell of a job resubscribing - finally having to subscribe from
the website itself! And after a few days away what do I find you
chatting about - TOTP and showaddywaddy!!!

Bloody hell!!

Richard Hutt wrote on 26/9/97
>Oh and a question before I depart into the hills. I get the sneaking
>suspicion that a number of listers, indeed, perhaps even the band, may
>share a common past. So, then, how many of you were, between the years
>of 1985 and 1989, what was referred to as "cuties"? Oh come on, admit
>it. There's no shame in it now. My anorak was green and had fuzzy orange
>lining. Since I won't be around to hear the answer, would anyone care to
>explain those topsy - turvy years that seem so much a part of B & S, at
>least to me, to those that weren't around?

I don't think anybody bothered, but at the risk of bringing up an old
thread �
I've been as busy as the proverbial bee and tracked down an article which,
though probably not definitive, should go a long way to explaining to
non-UK listers what the indie/twee/cutie scene was about. I'm sure you'll
be able to link some of it to the manner in which we regard our heroes,
the relevance of 'proper' songs, feyness, 'Britishness', the list could go
on and on.
Anyway, I've enclosed it as a text file(only 26K) and am sure you'll find
it interesting, even if you're from the UK.

By the way, my anorak was reversible, cream or brown depending on mood,
but I was never a hard-core cutie (honest!).

Bye for now,

Paul, <plaird at ndirect.co.uk>

"Go to work on an Egg" - The Egg Marketing Board