Sinister: Belle and Sebastian e-mail version of the mail-out

David & Katrina d.kitchen at xxx.net
Fri Oct 10 09:46:26 BST 1997

Belle and Sebastian

The 3..6..9 Seconds Of Light mail-out

--

Hello!

It's nearly the end of the Summer now, and as we edge into Autumn, Belle
and Sebastian release the last of their Summer e.p's. The "3..6..9
Seconds Of Light" e.p. will be released on Monday 13th October, but you
can read loads about that on the next page. First though, gigs!!

The few of you who managed to get in to the 2 New York gigs (which were
apparently brilliant - I'm relying on the over-enthusing on the Internet
list for this info!), were lucky enough to see Belle and Sebastian
perform a few songs that they've not played in the UK yet! We're assured
that Barcelona was the same, epic venue and an epic concert. Oh well, I
suppose we did have Kelvingrove and the Union Chapel, which were epic in
their own way. The bit where everyone stood at in the middle of a song
at the Union Chapel will always give me goosebumps. So naturally, we're
dead ecstatic that they're trying to get some more gigs off the ground
for the Autumn and Winter.

For the foreseeable future they've scheduled these gigs:

November:

Paris: Belle and Sebastian have been asked to play at an old Railway
Station in Paris on Monday, November 10th. As this isn't yet confirmed,
we regrettably can't give you all the specifics about tickets and where
you can get them. However, keep your eyes on the press and we'll be
doing a mail-out for you as well, once we have all the details
confirmed.

December:

Manchester: 2 or 3 gigs are currently pencilled in around Christmas.
Venue details are yet to be confirmed. The band really do want to play
here and although we can say that they are playing, we can't say where.
We're pretty sure that the NME and MM will fall over each other to try
and get this news first to you, but don't worry, when we do the next
mail-out (once all the gig details are worked out) we'll try and make
sure that it's before the press know about it. After all, you've been
supporting them for ages, and it's only fair to help you get hold of the
tickets before a blagging journo gets to know what's happening.

London: Of all the not yet confirmed gigs this is the most tentatively
arranged one. It is not confirmed, actually it's not even certain if the
band will play this. But, the idea is there and we'll let you know on
the next mail-out whether it's any more than a pipeline dream.

So there you have it!
We're sorry that we've not got any definite details or confirmed venues
and such, but we promise you that the moment that we have everything
confirmed, we'll create a quick mail-out and update you all.

--

3..6..9 Seconds Of Light e.p.

The new e.p. by Belle and Sebastian will be released in the UK on 13th
October 1997. It will contain the following four tracks:
	A Century Of Fakers
	Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
	Beautiful
	Put The Book Back On The Shelf
After the last song is a bonus 'hidden' track entitled "Songs For
Children" which is not mentioned on the sleeves of the record. So
really, it's a five-track EP!  All the songs can be found on both the CD
and 12", whereas the 7" will just have the first two.

This time round there shouldn't be any problems with finding the e.p.
Our Price, HMV, Virgin, Tower etc., will all hold stock of the single.
Of course we'd rather you pop down to your local indie store, but if you
don't have a local indie, then just pop into Our Price instead! If you
have any problems finding your copy, you can still recite the catalogue
and distribution details to the assistant. The e.p. is distributed by
3mv/Vital for Jeepster Recordings Ltd., and the catalogue no's are
JPRCDS003 for the CD, and JPR12003 and JPR7003 for the 12" and 7"
respectively. If you live outside the UK you can order a copy on-line by
visiting http://www.roughtrade.com/

We think we should try and explain the cover artwork to you 'cos there's
something a little unique about it. Unlike every other record I could
name, there is no text of any kind on the front sleeve, as such you're
unlikely to see the words "Belle and Sebastian" screaming at you from a
space in the racking. The sleeve is a white affair with an image of a
certain Stuart Murdoch and friend in a silver ink, sort of like a silver
sepia thing. We think it's lovely, and the best B&S sleeve yet!

Videos have been made for both Century and Pastie. We expect that MTV
and the Chart Show will just pick their favourite song out of the two,
and show that one. The Century video has Isobel doing sign language and
wearing angel's wings, Sarah appearing to be someone from Star Wars and
apparently there's loads of snogging! "Tongues and all!", says Katrina
from across the room. Naturally I'm as keen as you are to see that one!
- e-mail version update! the video planned for Pastie has been cancelled
last minute when it was realised that to apply the effects to the film
they would have o re-shoot the video, this means there is only ONE video
-

On the European front, Sinister has now been released in 9 territories
and is selling well. We've now got the distribution details that we
didn't have last time plus a little more. Firstly the catalogue no. for
the CD is 8446012, the cassette's no. is 8446014. The cassette version
is only available in France, however the CD is available in France,
Germany, Austria, Greece, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and
Holland. It is released by the Virgin France subsidiary label Delabel.
If you have any problems finding your copy in the shops, please let us
know, and we'll try to find the closest stockist to you (or, see below).

As for the United States, Belle and Sebastian are rumoured to be on the
verge of a deal with Matador Records. You may already know of what
happened with The Enclave, but if not, basically put, they went under.
Not due to B&S, mainly due to their parent company EMI deciding to
streamline, or whatever that means. When a deal is finalised we'll let
you know straight away.

If you find you're having trouble getting copies of Belle and
Sebastian's older releases, we can now help you. All back catalogue
titles - excluding Tigermilk which is still unavailable - are now
available from the fanclub by using the merchandise form enclosed or
alternatively over the internet. Also, we now have Credit Card
facilities, which we hope will be of use to all the people for who
paying a substantial charge to get a International Money Order is too
much of a burden.  If you still want to try and hunt the back catalogue
down yourself, Mark McQuillan  - he's Jeepster's label manager at 3mv -
has offered to help people find out what stores closest to them have
Belle and Sebastian stock.  You can contact him via the fanclub either
by post at the usual address, or by phone on London 0181 560 1815, and
we'll find out from him for you.

--

Fan Club Things

Last page now, and so comes all the admin stuff and special things that
we dream up for you!

Something just in time for Autumn/Winter is our NEW pen-pal service. All
it means, is that we'll act as the middle-men between you contacting
other fans. If you would like to write to other Belle and Sebastian
fans, (and wouldn't mind letting someone else write to you), then all
you have to do is
 write a short piece describing yourself (including
your name and address somewhere), and post it in to us at the address
below, marking the front of the envelope "Pen-pals". Make sure to
include an A4/Letter sized postage paid envelope for the reply, as when
we've got enough to make a little booklet introducing you to each other,
we'll type it up and post it back to you in your envelope. This will not
go to the general mailing list, only those who have 'subscribed' to this
service by placing their own descriptive piece will receive the booklet.
I met someone special via writing once, and I hope that someone else
will find a friend through this.

The Official Internet site has been updated by Stuart David and now
includes 'Little Ink Movies'. If you find yourself wandering around
cyberspace and find a moment to pay a visit, the location is
http://www.totalweb.co.uk/belleandsebastian/ . If you'd like to
subscribe to the most active and entertaining mailing list that we've
ever seen, then follow the link from Stuart David's site or send a
message containing the words 'subscribe sinister' in the body of the
message to majordomo at majordomo.net . Honey is the list admin guy
and welcomes everyone who loves Belle and Sebastian. A last location for
you to take a peek at would be the fanclub site run by myself and
Katrina at http://www.totalweb.co.uk/bluesoda/Belleandsebastian.htm
(please note change of address). You can order merchandise from there
and read the lyrics to records you may not yet own, and if that's not
enough, there's links to every other Belle and Sebastian site that we
know of.

And that's about it for this issue!  Oh, we've had a few people asking
how the "Lazy Line Painter Jane" e.p. did, and we're pleased to announce
that is was Belle and Sebastian's biggest hit to date,  by debuting in
at number 41 on the charts in the first week!  We've been told that the
new e.p. is going to make an even bigger dent on that naughty forty, so
tune in to Radio One on Sunday the 19th October to see how well it went!

One last thing, for those of you who have just joined and an update for
those of you who received the early mail-outs. David and Katrina run the
fanclub, we do it for love and a little bit of money (just enough to
cover costs, honest!). David used to be unemployed but is now a
bookseller, he lives on the computer and his favourite three Belle and
Sebastian songs are currently 'I Could Be Dreaming', 'Century Of Fakers'
and 'Rhoda'. Katrina's become Mark Jones's (Jeepster guy) slave and
spends her time cooing, 'Hello Jeepster
' at everyone. Her favourite
three songs are currently 'Simple Things', 'Electronic Renaissance' and
'Slow Graffiti'. Don't ask us for copies of these, we don't own all of
them, we simply heard them at gigs months ago and still walk around
mumbling what we believe to be the words, we get proved wrong most of
the time though. I thought that 'make a new cult everyday
' from 'Stars
Of Track And Field' was really 'hate a new coat everyday
', and if that
wasn't bad enough you should read what other people made of other
lyrics, actually we'll put it in the next mail-out!

PS: the one thing we havn't really mentioned in this is that we've got a
new ordering system, new T-shirts and now stock the back catalogue of
Belle and Sebastian. You can order by Credit Card and view things first,
just visit the merchandise page at
http://www.totalweb.co.uk/bluesoda/merchandise.htm to see more.

                      Belle and Sebastian
   Belle and Sebastian, PO Box 14153, London, SW11 4XU, ENGLAND.
       http://www.totalweb.co.uk/belleandsebastian/
                 Belle and Sebastian Fan Club
     http://www.totalweb.co.uk/bluesoda/Belleandsebastian.htm
                mailto:bluesoda at totalweb.co.uk