Sinister: Isobel's favourite LP's

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 12 00:47:48 BST 1997

<snip>

> on the subject though, i find it weird that, let's
> say she's 20, yeah?  i think i heard that or read
> that somewhere, yeah?  well i just find it a bit
> funny that all the LPs she's listing would have
> been out when she was, lets see... 5, not even a
> flicker, 9 and somewhere between 3 and 13.  i
> don't mean to sound cynical but, ahem surely no
> teenager is THAT hip?  unless, ooh weird concept,
> Isobel is actually like the character in my new
> book and has actually been a 30 year old in a 16
> year olds' body :-)  This would answer a lot...
> Perhaps the whole group are like this.  Except
> Stuart M who is the mad scientist who's been
> overseeing these crazy experiments.  Erm, sorry,
> getting carried away .  I just think it's a little
> bit sad that someone who was 15 in 1992 wouldn't
> have chosen a couple of LPs from the early 90s to
> be fave records.  There were a few you know...
> maybe i'll even go off and find some and make her
> a tape :-)
>
> the duke

Personally, I'm a mere 20 myself, but I own lots of CDs that were released
before I was born, never mind ones which came out when I was 15. Sometimes
I just find a record I really like and then work my way through their back
catalogue, or get things by people I've been told about, or whatever. I
only went out and got some Nick Drake because people had told me B&S sounded
like him, and now I love his music too. I don't find it at all strange
that someone should like stuff that came out before they had sufficient
taste to like it; hell, ten years ago I was buying Kylie albums :-(. Good
music is good music no matter how old it is, and once it has been released
it is just waiting there for someone to discover and fall in love with it,
be it the next day or 20 years later. Maybe in 20 years time loads of new
bands who are currently still in nappies will be quoting B&S as a major
influence...

Stuart G

P.S. Anyone out there who's expecting tapes from me at the moment, I
changed e-mail addresses a couple of weeks back when I came back to uni,
so I haven't got copies of any e-mail requests you may have sent me last
month any more. All tapes I've received are either in the post or will be
on Monday, but if anyone else is expecting something you'd better e-mail
me again (sorry!). While I'm on the subject, if anyone else out there
wants dubs of Tigermilk / Radcliffe Sessions / Evening Session from last
month, drop me a line, I've got through my current batch now.