Sinister: Isobel's favourite LP's

superbob parachute at xxx.net
Sun Oct 12 10:51:40 BST 1997

Stuart Gardiner wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > on the subject though, i find it weird that, let's
> > say she's 20, yeah?  i think i heard that or read
> > that somewhere, yeah?  well i just find it a bit
> > funny that all the LPs she's listing would have
> > been out when she was, lets see... 5, not even a
> > flicker, 9 and somewhere between 3 and 13.  i
> > don't mean to sound cynical but, ahem surely no
> > teenager is THAT hip?

> Personally, I'm a mere 20 myself, but I own lots of CDs that were released
> before I was born, never mind ones which came out when I was 15. Sometimes
> I just find a record I really like and then work my way through their back
> catalogue, or get things by people I've been told about, or whatever.

alright. i know "duke" isn't trying to say us younguns shouldn't listen
to the older bands and i know he's not being rude about it, but i'm
gonna throw my two cents in anyway.
i was born in '74, so growing up left me with little other than billy
joel and bryan adams, then later on motley crue and guns n roses.....so
it wasn't until '89 when i got into the good stuff. smiths. morrissey.
felt. stone roses.
but now some of my favorite bands are bands that were probably on the
verge of breaking up or broken up before i had ever heard of them. felt.
velvet underground. smiths. dream syndicate (are they still together?).
love. talking heads. the feelies. so on and so on. (i hate nick drake).
so, it's not so unusual to like bands that you didn't grow up with. i'd
be hard pressed to find someone who still absolutely loves what they did
when they were 13 and 14. if that was the case, i'd be on the motley
crue mailing list talking about how whitesnake are posers.
good bands are good bands. it doesn't matter if you grew up with them or
not.
and one other question. my cd copy of "me and a monkey on the moon" has
an odd shape to it. it's round and everything, but it's kind of like two
differnet sized layers. i don't know how to explain. anyway, does anyone
else have this problem or do i have a bum cd. it only plays half the
time cause it seems to be a cheaply manufactured cd. any thoughts?

-brad