Sinister: i'm just about to embarrass kate...

Andrew Dean Andrew.Dean at xxx.net
Mon Oct 13 12:34:20 BST 1997

>Kate Dornan (a.northern.soul at mcmail.com)
>Sun, 12 Oct 1997 00:29:45 +0100

[talking about issy's lp choices]
>Nah, she's probably just a retrospective listener like so
>many of us these days (I for one number Soft Cell and
>Propaganda and Supremes records among my favourites, and am
>but sixteen years of age at present...)

if you're a mere 16 years of age what are you doing knowing
stuff like this from nq.guardian.co.uk?:

>Am I more closely related to my mother or my brother?

>ACCORDING to Richard Dawkins in his book, The Selfish Gene,
>your "relatedness" is the same to each. Half of your genes
>came from your mother, meaning there is a 50% chance that
>any one gene is shared by yourself and your mother. But
>there is also a 50% chance that your brother received that
>gene, making the theoretical amount of shared genes between
>you the same. However, it should be noted that whilst the
>relatedness between parent and child is always exactly 50%,
>the "luck of the meiotic draw" dictates that it is possible
>for siblings to share more or less than 50% of their genes.
>This means that to all intents and purposes you are equally
>closely related to both, but in actual fact it cannot be
>determined without identifying the genes of you and your
>brother.

>Kate Dornan, Manchester 20 (a.northern.soul at mcmail.com)

(i noticed, though, that when they came to print the answer
in the paper they chose the only othe answer they had (which
said exactly the same thing)...)

and quoting field mice lyrics too... shouldn't you be off
listening to the spice girls? 8)

and one of isobel's choices, the velvet underground and nico
album, dates from 1967. i picked it up only after hearing it
name-checked in every othe jesus and mary chain interview i
ever read and was stunned to find it so contemporary
sounding despite being 25 years old (at the time). i bought
a copy on cd just two weeks ago too...

oh, new b&s single out today and the teletext review is 3.5
this week whereas it was 4.5 last week. the two sentences of
text to go with it mentions the hidden track but not much
else.

andy
who'd be hard pushed to come up with 10 favourite lps...