Sinister: Rough Guide anecdote

Mussadiq Ahmed mahmed at xxx.uk
Mon Oct 13 16:19:03 BST 1997

Here is some background information on the B&S entry for The Rough
Guide. I assume that you are talking about the Penguin book that came
out last  year. Well, 2 Summers ago I received a call from a friend
trying to make it as a journalist/writer in London. He just got his
first freelance job..... writing entries for a new A-Z book to be called
'The Rough Guide To Rock'.

The assignments were divided according to genres. So 1 writer got all
the punk  from '76 onewards. Another had British indie music of the 80s.
Someone else covered Goth. Prog rock from the 70s and 80s were given to
one person. And so on.

So if a 2nd updated edition is published, the B&S will probably go the
writer specializing in UK non-mainstream indie music. As B&S have
received nothing but favourable coverage in the NME/MM and many SOTW
awards this year; one can safely assume that they will be included.

As for my friend, he got his pick of US Heavy Metal and Hard Rock artists.
I remember providing info and advice for Jane's Addiction, Guns 'n' Roses,
Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. I proofread his articles trying to
persuade him to curtail the "Kerranngg-school-of-journalism" approach. He
failed to listen and now writes for Metal Hammer magazine.

By the way, I will happily defend the merits of early Iron Maiden, Def
Leppard's "Pyromania", Dave Lee Roth's debut  and mid-period Metallica.
They are all part of my musical exploration and appreciation with no
"style bibles" to guide me.  I am at ease with having 'Master of
Puppets' on the a-side of a tape  and 'The Queen is Dead'  on the
b-side.

Mussadiq.