Sinister: See More

Stip / Blue Music Stip at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 14 13:23:45 BST 1997

>On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Keith Watson wrote:
>
>> I'm glad to see we have a (part-time) heavy metal fan on the list. What do
>your
>> heavy metal mates think of Belle and Sebastian? Poofters, I bet.
>>
>> [Keith Watson]
>> Hear Hear... glad to see you're loud and proud about it. I'm personally quite
>> partial to Motorhead at times, and ACDC - Back in Black and Hell's Bells
>> - cracking tracks - I'm a big led Zep fan too, and Purple, Sabbath etc.
>> Unlike quite a lot of my friends however, I've never had a hairy metal
>> past ...
>
>Hmm I did.  But I'm a poofter now, well I like B&S.

I was never a heavy metal chick or anything, but all of my boyfriends
were the guitar wielding axemasters we knew and loved as 'moshers'. This
was chiefly because I always (somewhat foolishly) believed that all
would be well in the gardens of romance if my 'man' could serenade me.

Instead of crooning sweetly and dedicating records to me, however, these
so-called males spent their time ironing Megadeth patches onto their
denim jackets and shunning me for refusing to attend yet another Slayer
concert.

This is by no means a dig at Heavy Metal music. It is simply to voice my
grief at the fact that Stuart Murdoch can be inspired enough to write a
song as touching as 'You Made Me Forget My Dreams', while the closest I
came to being serenaded was when one boyfriend in particular wrote
'Demon Rider, Baby', apparantly for me. Me and four of his other
girlfriends, that is...

But hey, I'm not bitter.

Cheers, Nicola x

--