Sinister: Are we all bourgeoisie now?!

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 14 20:21:34 BST 1997

> I just started thinking yesterday ( for the
> first time - ha ha. If anyone
> wanted to get a sarcastic shot at this staement,
> well I beat you to it:-)),
> when I got the new Ep, about "Le pastie...".
> First I thought it was a ordinary "you´re so
> lonely, nobody understands you
> and they are evil and so buorgeoise or what ever
> it´s spelled"-kinda song
> (just like the great favourite "Expectations").
> But then isn´t "Le pastie"
> a song thats quite mean to the "you"-figure in
> the song, with the singer
> being quite sarcastic about the goodness and
> specialness of the spolied
> Bourgeoisie-brat who just wants to get away,
> spending her time reading
> Salinger and Kerouac?
> I don´t know, maybe this is clear for everyone,
> but I find it quite
> interesting as "Le pastie" must be the most
> "agressive" B&S song since "Me
> and the major". And in that case quite agressive
> to B&S fans too, i
> suppose:-)

YES YES YES!! This is exactly what i was saying in
my review, and i'm assuming the subject line was
an intentional reference to the McCarthy song!?  I
think this is a very sensible reading of the
lyric, and i do think that there's a lot more
snide cynicism in some of Stuart's lyrics than
people at times realise.  There's a whole lot more
to B&S than fey winsomeness, but that's the tag
the press keep pushing so that's how they get
perceived.

so does everyone else feel the same way, or are we
all feeling a little fragile about our little
bourgeouise beatnik pasts? ;-)

the duke

--
Tangents On-Line