Sinister: Are we all bourgeoisie now?!

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 15 14:04:19 BST 1997

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Keith Watson wrote:

> so does everyone else feel the same way, or are we
> all feeling a little fragile about our little
> bourgeouise beatnik pasts? ;-)
>
> the duke
>
> [Keith Watson]
> I'm completely in agreement too - I'm just surprised how much he knows
about these kind of people living in Glasgow - there are none of them there.
 I live in Edinburgh where all the Oxford/Cambridge Yah Hooray Henry types
come and it's unbelievable. Before coming to University in Edinburgh I didn't
 know these people existed. It's a case of any excuse not to do a real job,
 and to have a huge extended "holiday" under the guise of "helping people"
 (This, at least is the analagous situation that I see to the beat generation
thing). 	I need a bloody holiday - I haven't had one since a week in
 Llandudno in 1990.

> Cheers,
> 	Keith.

The Oxford/Cambridge Yah Hooray Henry types don't exist. Well not in
Cambridge anyway (except possibly Peterhouse College, but they don't
count). Edinburgh Uni seems to be like Durham Uni; it's where all the
Hooray Henrys go who think they have the right to go to Cambridge or
Oxford because they've got lots of money, even though they've not got 2
brain cells to rub together, and then they find out that we don't take
wankers like them here. Personally, I'm on a full student grant, which
makes me just as down to earth as people anywhere else; all this "they go
to Cambridge, they must be snobs" stuff is complete balls.

Phew, that was a bit vitriolic, I don't know what came over me.

Has anyone read this week's Melody Maker? It's got a full page "Tour
Diary" type thing written by B&S about their time in New York, in the form
of imaginary messages left on an Answerphone to someone in Glasgow while
they were there. It's well worth a read, if you can tear yourselves away
from researching the Waronker family history...

Stuart G