Sinister: Belles and Bobs

P. Miller / A. Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Wed Oct 15 18:15:41 BST 1997

Q Magazine again...
"Acoustically ambient church caretakers Belle and Sebastian
are recording their third album in their home studio."
I beg to differ. Church caretakers are not called church
caretakers, are they? That bloke on Dad's Army was called
the verger, I think. There's another word, but I can't for
the life of me remember what it is. I'll have to ask my mum.

Paul...

Felt...
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Denim are much
better. Or at least much funnier. And more of an influence
on Belle and Sebastian. Sample lyric - "ah what's your name?
- yeah mine's that too! " And that's just the tip of a very
ample iceberg of lyrical genius. One of my favourite groups
ever. Felt are a bit lacklustre in comparison, although I
liked them at the time. I even had the honour of seeing them
perform once. Lawrence is very small. Someone lowered the
tone ever so slightly by shouting "Hey! That's the bass
player out of the Long Ryders!" at the mother of all pudding
basin bass players. Duffy (now tinkling the ivories with
Bobby and the Screamies) was particularly miserable. Showed
no signs of life whatsoever from the wrists up. Like a piano
playing Nick Knox. I think there's a couple of compilations
available, Bubblegum something and Absolute Bastard
Classics. I believe they may have played their last ever
concert in Greenock. Or maybe it was just their last ever
concert in Greenock. As opposed to their last ever concert
ever ever.
Such is my love of Denim that I would be only too happy to
supply you with a poor quality tape of durable Denim
classics.

Has anyone heard this new Norman Wisdom compilation?

Peter