Sinister: Belles and Bobs

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 16 00:38:38 BST 1997

P. Miller wrote 15/10/97:
>Felt...
>I've said it once and I'll say it again. Denim are much
>better. Or at least much funnier. And more of an influence
>on Belle and Sebastian.

I can't see how that could be. Funny maybe - I always thought Denim
were a bit of a joke - come on, I believe they even used the two
drummers from the Glitter Band on 'Back in Denim' for that
'authentic 70's feel'. Of course 'Middle of the Road' is a great
song, but has anyone listened to their more recent offerings -
'Denim on Ice' etc. - utter bollocks.

I got sent the 'Summer Smash' single during the summer and (if I
haven't swapped it already) you're welcome to it. The lyrics and
delivery are cringible - matched only by that song they did -
something about falling off the back of a lorry I think - last year.
When I had to review it I squirmed with embarassment - more for
Lawrence than myself.

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, John Stuart wrote:

> My fav on the new ep has to be 'Put the book back on the shelf'.  I love
> every single song B&S have released, but would anybody else agree that the
> tracks on the ep's are not quite as good as those on both the albums?

My favourite too, and got a very good reception when played at The Egg
on the last couple of Saturdays. I particularly liked the use of the
Sebastian character (from 'Belle and Sebastian' on LLPJ ?) - and the
"king of all the hipstersĀŠ or are you still the Queen" lyric.
For me the first hearing was like the first time I heard Felt's 'Bitter End'
Love's 'Your mind and we belong together' and 14 Iced Bears' 'Cut' - in short,
my pop world moved.

anyway, now my rambling time is up.

Byeee,

Paul
<plaird at ndirect.co.uk>

"Go to work on an Egg" - The Egg Marketing Board