Sinister: that sound...

Nigel Turner nigelt at xxx.net
Thu Oct 16 09:59:01 BST 1997

<< on Mayfly, towards the end, the kind of buzzing keyboard?
anyone know what instrument that is? >>

>Sounds like a genuine "Rolf Harris Stylophone" to me.

>Mike

It is indeed the very wonderful Stylophone.  I seem to recall the said instrument causing a few sound problems for the band at one of the Glasgow QMU gigs.  And wasn't there some kind of "Stylophone orchestra" playing in the Eighties?

On a different musical note, each time I hear "Le Pastie...", I am reminded of The Monochrome Set.  It's in the tempo, the guitar sound......even Stuart's voice reminds me of Bid (Monochrome Set's singer, who was the son of an Indian Prince, or something).  Mmmm.....another great pop band - anyone else spot the likeness?

And Simon Tyers from Leicester........for heaven's sake, don't shop in HMV - buy your records from Rockaboom!  I bought the 7" for 99p and the cd for 1.98.  It's a MUCH BETTER SHOP all round (and I don't even work there!).  Also go see Yo La Tengo at the Charlotte on Sat 8th Nov.  A brilliant band - kind of like a Velvets-meet-Stereolab-in-a-David-Lynch-movie.  You won't regret it!

Nigel
xx