Sinister: 3...6...9...seconds of listening

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 16 19:37:56 BST 1997

     I bought the EP yesterday in Our Price in Swiss Cottage (the nearest
     record shop to where I work, which is usually unrivalled for the
     poverty of its range but good grief, there the CD single nestled, next
     to the ubiquitous Not Very Nice Girls. Heaven or hell for £1.99).

     On first listen ... I don't wish to stoke controversy but I feel it's
     patchy and not all of it was instantly resonant. Beautiful is coy and
     may grow on me. Fakers is great and funnier than Elvis. Pastie is a
     triumph. That's all I had time to listen to as I was making chocolate
     ice cream and had to go out for dinner. Snap judgements I'm sure I'll
     regret but I'd like to support whoever said (daringly) that the EPs
     are weaker than the albums!

     The Monochrome Set reference is a brilliant one. I'm glad someone
     mentioned the obvious humour that permeates B&S lyrics, despite the
     grossly unfair way they've been portrayed as the ultimate in fey
     whimsy. B&S share that with the Monochrome Set - and with Momus, and
     the Smiths. All misconstrued, but they'll have the last laugh.

     I'd just like to say that this is a brilliant list and it brings a bit
     of light to my grey work day.

     Charlotte