Sinister: Belles and Bobs

P. Miller / A. Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Oct 16 11:27:52 BST 1997

plaird wrote:

> P. Miller wrote 15/10/97:
> >Felt...
> >I've said it once and I'll say it again. Denim are much
> >better. Or at least much funnier. And more of an
> influence
> >on Belle and Sebastian.
>
> I can't see how that could be. Funny maybe - I always
> thought Denim
> were a bit of a joke - come on, I believe they even used
> the two
> drummers from the Glitter Band on 'Back in Denim' for that
>
> 'authentic 70's feel'. Of course 'Middle of the Road' is a
> great
> song, but has anyone listened to their more recent
> offerings -
> 'Denim on Ice' etc. - utter bollocks.
>
> I got sent the 'Summer Smash' single during the summer and
> (if I
> haven't swapped it already) you're welcome to it. The
> lyrics and
> delivery are cringible - matched only by that song they
> did -
> something about falling off the back of a lorry I think -
> last year.
> When I had to review it I squirmed with embarassment -
> more for
> Lawrence than myself.

Hooray, hooray! I'd love it! Almost sent off for it mail
order but thought better of it. I'd like to say that the
worse Denim get the more I like 'em, but I must admit I
thought the Novelty Rock odds'n'sods LP was a bit too much.
But I still like Denim more than Felt (and I do like Felt).
I've listened to Denim on Ice hundreds of times and I love
it. Without any post modern irony or anything. It just gives
me pleasure. Embarassment as art, maybe. And there is still
a fair degree of depth to it. "Jane Suck Died in '77" for
example, is well and truly sad. And the pub rock revival's a
cracker. Whenever I see a bunch of hairy guys I always say
"there's a bunch of hairy guys" in a Lawrence voice. I've
had a photo of Lawrence on my wall for ,ooh, eleven years, I
think. He's holding a book called "The Man Who Was Not With
It" by Herbert Gold. Does anybody know this book? Sounds
like a suitable philosophy for life to me. "Poem of the
River" was my favourite Felt opus. The first song
(Declaration?) is a good 'un. Lawrence was always very
entertaining in interviews. Top bloke in my opinion. Balding
nicely. Does what he wants to. Yes, I do think "Denim on
Ice" is one of the albums of the nineties. Till deaf do us
part.

I've never heard "Index". I've got "Gold Mine Trash" but I
don't think it goes back that far.

Does anybody know the midweek chart position for 3..6..9?
Have I asked that before???

Peter