Sinister: that sound...

P. Miller / A. Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Oct 16 13:58:09 BST 1997

Nigel Turner wrote:

> << on Mayfly, towards the end, the kind of buzzing
> keyboard?
> anyone know what instrument that is? >>
>
> >Sounds like a genuine "Rolf Harris Stylophone" to me.
>
> >Mike
>
> It is indeed the very wonderful Stylophone.  I seem to
> recall the said instrument causing a few sound problems
> for the band at one of the Glasgow QMU gigs.  And wasn't
> there some kind of "Stylophone orchestra" playing in the
> Eighties?

Tell me more!

> On a different musical note, each time I hear "Le
> Pastie...", I am reminded of The Monochrome Set.  It's in
> the tempo, the guitar sound......even Stuart's voice
> reminds me of Bid (Monochrome Set's singer, who was the
> son of an Indian Prince, or something).  Mmmm.....another
> great pop band - anyone else spot the likeness?

Yes, a bit. I'm hoping B&S do a comilation job like that
Monochrome Set one with all the talking on. Can't remember
what it was called, with the song my old man's a dustman,
only he wasn't a dustman. Bloody good record.

> And Simon Tyers from Leicester........for heaven's sake,
> don't shop in HMV - buy your records from Rockaboom!  I
> bought the 7" for 99p and the cd for 1.98.  It's a MUCH
> BETTER SHOP all round (and I don't even work there!).

Which one's Rockaboom! then? I'm an Ultima Thule devotee.
More freaks pass through there than a Psychic TV concert.

>  Also go see Yo La Tengo at the Charlotte on Sat 8th Nov.
> A brilliant band - kind of like a
> Velvets-meet-Stereolab-in-a-David-Lynch-movie.  You won't
> regret it!

Has anybody ever seen Will Oldham in action? Playing here on
Friday. Blimey, a concert!

Peter