Sinister: that sound...

95516123 at xxx.uk 95516123 at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 16 16:24:37 BST 1997

>as anybody ever seen Will Oldham in action? Playing here on
>riday. Blimey, a concert!

>eter

          Peter,

          I saw Will on two occasions in Nottingham. The first was
          with a full band which included a middle-aged fiddle player
          and was quite astonishing. Shivers ran down my spine during
          'Ohio River Boat Song' and I was close to tears as Will sang
          the line: "Hey my baby, don't slip away" during 'There Is No
          one...".  It was simply one of the most moving spectacles
          I've ever witnessed.

          The second time was just Will and acoustic guitar, sitting
          on what looked like a small, wooden primary school chair.
          The gig wasn't quite as good. Everyone laughed when he said:
          "This next song is a Prince cover." Will looked bemused - it
          actually WAS a Prince song, although I have no idea what it
          was.

          The Archdeacon of Pop