Sinister: denim, pastels, major labels

Richard Edwards dickon at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 16 19:59:28 BST 1997

lawrence from denim sent me a copy of their "summer smash" single... not
only did it not come out in the end but the other week Denim were dropped
altogether by EMI... the same happened to Stephen Duffy and RCA this year...
lawrence's letter mentions how he thinks the Belle and Sebastian/Jeepster
way is the only way what with all this "radio playlist or death" madness
that the majors are obsessed with. I can speak for painful experience myself
of course. Suffice it to say that I'm a lot wiser now, and I refuse to fuck
things up with my own new band, Fosca: it's a decent, passionate indie label
for me or nothing.

looking forward to seeing B&S on TOTP. They will do it, won't they?

bought the new (excellent) pastels album. nice to see the illustrious list
of additional musicians includes Dean Wareham, Norman and Gerry out of
Teenage Fanclub, and a certain Isobel Campbell on cello... i once got
stephen and aggi to autograph my copy of "The Bell Jar" at a pastels gig in
bristol years ago... still got it.

well i'm off to flirt with librarians.

dickon