Sinister: Stuart's Pastels thing...

95516123 at xxx.uk 95516123 at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 17 13:28:38 BST 1997

          Dear all,

          Here is the article which Stuart wrote and whic accompanied
          the press release for the Pastels' latest album,
          'Illumination'.

          The Archdeacon of Pop

          start of article

          About the Pastels

          When I was a boy and when Stephen was a boy too, my friends
          and I went to Greenock to see the Pastels play.
          I was drawn to all the Shambly people I saw around, even
          though I was quite sporty. They knocked about Hillhead and
          listened to strange music. I had a notion that the Patels
          were king of this strange music but I don't know why.
          Four of us went to Greenock, to the Subterraneans club.
          "Who's this?"
          "The Go-Betweens."
          "Who does this one?"
          "I think it's Sonic Youth."
          The Pastels came on. People took quite a few steps forward.
          They embraced the punky sound, they listened to the tender
          words. The possibilities seemed endless. I am still shocked
          to remember Aggi's shriek of "Up for a bit!". I'm glad she
          did it though.  On the way out there was a crush, and
          through the crowd came Stephen in his dufflecoat. The more
          sweaty boys tried to clap him on the back. "Goan yersel
          Stephen". We went home and I got their LP the next week. I
          was shocked and delighted when I heard it.  Nothing much has
          changed, even though that was ages ago.  They're still punk,
          and the songs are just as tender. But they are still
          learning about music. Every unexpected sound and note in
          their new record sounds like a fresh discovery.  And who
          else manages to pull that off every time?  Nobody. That's
          why they are the kings.

          Stuart, Belle and Sebastian.

          end of article.