Sinister: Re: How are B&S doing ?

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 17 15:37:04 BST 1997

> We get mid-weeks everyday now for some reason, and even though 25 looks
> good, the position was 17 for Monday's sales and 22 for Tuesday's.
> Basically, anyone who hasn't bought the single, and wants to, PLEASE
> PLEASE PLEASE do so before sales end on Saturday, as if we can get it
> inside the Top 30, it seems pretty definite that B&S will be on TOTP
> next Friday evening.

MAybe the reason the position's slipping is just that most of the people
who like B&S (most of the people who have heard B&S?) love them so much
that they'll make an effort to buy the EP the day it comes out, whereas
S*i*e G*r*s 'fans' are just teenagers who'll walk past a record shop one
day and notice the posters, and then go in and buy the thing. I can't
really imagine B&S getting many casual buyers, the type of people who go
into record shops occasionally on a Saturday. Maybe if they get on TOTP
next Friday the sales next Saturday will be more than this Saturday...

However even if the number does slip a bit by Sunday (as it did for LLPJ)
they should still get into the top 40 at worst, so the question is, which
song off the EP will they play on the Top 40 rundown on Radio 1 and/or on
TOTP? I hope it's Pastie, it seems to be the most POP! thing they've ever
done, and a lost classic in waiting. The vicious lyrics, the orgasmically
good (so called because it makes me want to shout Yes! Yes! Yes! in a
"When Harry Met Sally" style every time I hear it) surf guitar, right
through to the Moog solo at the end, how could it fail?

Stuart G