Sinister: Pro-Celebrity Rolf

P. Miller / A. Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Wed Oct 22 15:35:06 BST 1997

Rhys Williams wrote:

>   Has anybody heard Rolf's new album ("Can You Tell What
> It Is
> Yet?")? It's full of covers of recent pop songs. I fancy
> buying it,
> cos Rolf is a true star. So, then, which B &S song should
> Rolf do a
> cover of, and why?
>
>  Rhys

What a dangerous question you've asked, Rhys. I have
successfully resisted the temptation to formulate a top ten,
but this is too much.

I think Belle and Sebastian should do a cover of "This Great
Big Wolfhound Standing Staring at Me, Licking His Chops and
Weighing Me Up For Tea" with Isobel castigating Stuart at
the end for frightening the dog, "Now what did you want to
go and do that for, you big lummox? He's only a wee puppy,
you know!"

"I've Lost my Mummy" would be quite appropriate as well, if
only to dispell the notion that Belle and Sebastian are fey
and twee.

As for Rolf covering B&S, I would vote for "Fox in the
Snow", so that Rolf could showcase his no doubt excellent
impersonation of a fox snuffling around in the snow looking
for his dinner.

Incidentally, the great man will be appearing inn the intimate
surroundings of The Garage in Glasgow on November 15th. So Glasgow
residents will be able to shout out requests for their favourite Belle
and Sebastian songs. I think it'll probably be a good night out, all
postmodern irony aside. After all, Rolf has been at it a few years, so
he ought to be good by now. Nice voice too.

Peter