Sinister: Exclusive Pop

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 23 07:37:43 BST 1997

MWaggner at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-22 15:09:41 EDT, you
> write:
>
> <<  because that idea of 'exclusivity'
>  is part of the Pop Experience. >>
>
> You mean "Pop" doesn't derive from "popular" --
> with the connotation of
> accessibilty, rather than exclusivity?

yeah, i like to think that Pop is a totally
individual term and has no derivations... although
it clearly does have a history linguistically as
well as culturally.  i like Richard Hamilton's
definition actually... and therein lies one of the
greatest things about Pop: its contradictions!!
So whilst Hamilton might say that amongst the
requirements for Pop is for it to be mass produced
and accessable, it's also true that the very idea
of exclusivity within this context (belle &
sebastian's music is mass produced and accessable,
the 'rare' unreleased material is exclusive)
serves to heighten the experience.  It IS to do
with feeling 'Special', and you can't deny that's
a Pop Emotion, surely?  I'm also amused by the
fact that Pop Art took images of everyday
recognition and made one-offs from them.  HArdly
mass produced!  Hardly 'popular' in the sense that
everyone had access to the works?

tra la.

the duke

--